Who's On-Line Now?

Tuesday 25 December 2007

Dr Who - Voyage of the Damned

- SPOILER WARNING -
DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE SHOW
- SPOILER WARNING -


All day I had sat in anticipation of watching the Christmas Special of Dr Who as there was nothing on that I wanted to watch before it today. I whiled away the hours updating my Labels on previous (the oldest) postings, so that it is easier for me (and you dear reader) to find a specific entry.
Finally it came time to disembark my room and occupy the living room with my supply of mince pies and Southern Comfort (shame I had no Haribo). I sat there and watched, even saying "What" in time with the Doctor in the opening scene (as I had seen the end of the previous episode several times).
Kylie appeared very quickly on the scene and then the action started. Geoffrey Palmer played the suicidal ship's captain well, he has the face for "misery." The "almost" cameo by Bernard Cribbins was brilliant, as he was one of the Doctor's companions in one of the Peter Cushing film "Daleks Invasion of Earth", so I was thrilled to see him in a "cannon" episode (even more thrilled that he will be appearing in at least one more episode of the next season, if the preview is anything to go by).
Gray O'Brien, formerly of Casualty and Peak Practice, is still a handsome devil and Clive Swift's character was adorable really, I hope he gets to appear again (maybe he could pop up to aid Sarah Jane at some point?). Bannakaffalatta was also a great character that it would've be nice to see more of.
Totty-wise the ship's mechanic / engineer was a bit of a hottie, though we didn't get to see much of him, played by Bruce Lawrence (I think).
The whole show was, I think intentionally, Poseidon Adventure in space, with Debbie Chazen playing the equivalent of Shelly Winters' role in the original.
Her Majesty the Queen in hair rollers and a cardigan was hilarious, I was howling with laughter at that, I'm still not sure why I found that so funny.
And poor Astrid, Kylie's character, so full of potential and I really hope that Kylie puts the time aside to film some more in one, or more, of the four (I believe) specials after next year's season of Dr Who.
I'm sure the Doctor could find a way of bringing her back to him! (Didn't give away too much there did i?). Even if it is for just the one show, then it was good to have back the Tegan-effect of an Aussie accent even though she never got to see the inside of the TARDIS.
Overall, a great epsiode that almost had be in tears, but not quite, though I did get a call from Alexis in Torquay saying that he HAD been in tears.
The only bit that I didn't like was after the initial explosion of impact when the screen was tilted and all the actors were racing to one side with flames following them. This looked so false and pantomine-like and I thought for a minute the rest of the show would be the same, I'm glad I was wrong. I just hope that Tim didn't do the flame effects on that shot because I wasn't convinced by them! Oh, I was also miffed at the speed that the credits sped past. I didn't get to see who was playing who and I barely saw Tim's name and didn't catch what his title was down as this time (I'll have to ask him when I see him next).


The sneak preview of the upcoming series was great with guest stars of the previously mentioned Bernard Cribbins, along with Felicity Kendall, and Sarah Lancashire. A sneak preview of Torchwood was also shown (which is beginning in January I believe) and we saw that Alan Dale will be appearing, as is James Marsters (Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

Truly the highlight of my Christmas this year (though, sadly, that isn't saying much!!)

No comments: