Who's On-Line Now?

Saturday 15 December 2007

Crap Night Out

I went out for a few drinks last night and, as you can probably tell from the fact that I'm writing this at 08:12 the following morning, it wasn't that good a night. I got into Soho a bit early, hoping to avoid to cramped buses that I normally encounter, so I went into Rupert Street first before heading to Barcode at 17:00 our usual meeting time. I had spoken and text-chatted with Tim the day before and said I would be out and he told me that he would probably be back from Cardiff by then.
He wasn't in Barcode so I sent him a text. He was in G.A.Y. Bar with some friends and so we said we would meet up at some point. He had forgotten that I had said I would be out. That sort of put a downer on the evening there and then. I didn't want to go to G.A.Y. Bar for three reasons: firstly I do not like the crowd in there, it is too young and too queeny for my tastes; secondly, they would probably be in, what passed for, the beer garden smoking the whole time and it was far too cold for that; and thirdly, it was entirely possible that, by the time I got to the bar, they would be leaving.
On top of this Barcode was quite busy but with far too many women, who seem not to care who they bump into or how loud they scream, and a few queens with the same problems too!
Instead I went to Comptons and text Tim to tell him that I was headed there. He texted back to say he would try to pursuade the others to go to meet me there. It didn't sound promising so, once I had finished my drink, a Red Bull as I wasn't in the mood for too many Strongbows, I left and went to Rupert Street, texting Tim to tell him and asking him to let me know where they were headed next.
I got a call about 10 minutes later to say they had got to Comptons, just as Tim received my last text! But we arranged to meet in the newly re-opened Duke of Wellington. I met them on the first floor. The pub actually looks quite nice, the ground floor hadn't changed that much but the first has been extended and the toilets moved to the second floor.
Tim was appearing very drunk by the time I met with him, Richard and Terry, and I wasn't as I had only had 3 pints and was on my second Red Bull by this point. I really wasn't in the mood to stay out much longer, but tried to make an effort.
Tim confirmed that he would not be doing his Christmas dinner at home as he suggested he might, as he and Richard are going to friends for Christmas. He did say however, that he would really like to do it next year, hopefully in a new flat as he is not happy at the one he is in at the moment.
At about 22:30 we left the Wellie and they went to have something to eat while I made my way home feeling more depressed than I have been all week. Going through my head was something that Tim had said to me a few weeks back, "You need to get some new friends!" He hadn't ment it in a nasty way, as in "I don't want to hang out with you any more", at least I hope he didn't, but in a friendly way because he knows that he is the only person I actually hang out with AT ALL any more. All my other friends live to far away (Torquay, Melbourne, Cambridgeshire). I just am not very good at talking to new people, and the only ones I have met recently have been through work and none of them are people I would particularly want to hang out with, as demonstrated by the fact that it was the work's drink-up last night and I didn't go.
I guess that means that I have my first New Year Resolution: To be more outgoing and make new friends! Yeah, like that is going to be as easy as it sounds!!

No comments: