Who's On-Line Now?

Monday 7 September 2009

Setting Achievable Goals

I was feeling my usual emotions when I went back to work last night after my four days off: nausea, repulsion, hatred, boredom, lethargy, a sense of pointlessness, desperation etc etc etc. It didn't change when I got there. Everything had been moved around, some paperwork lost, handovers had not been done properly (meaning the supervisor I was taking over from didn't know what I needed to know), and after about 4 hours I had exhausted every avenue of finding something to do to contribute to the running of the site.

I decided to make a list of things that I really want to achieve in the very near future. So here is the list, in no particular order:
  • Join a gym (though this isn't something I feel I will enjoy, it is something that could improve my physique, give me something to do in my bored moments, possibly get a new circle of acquaintances, if not friends, and give me something different to talk about). I just need to find the right gym, as I don't want to be tied into a long contract with a crap one. I'll probably go with Virgin Active, as it is close and there are loads of them around, in case I manage to achieve my next point.
  • Move. I am sick of sharing the flat with so many people (especially sharing this tiny bathroom and kitchen with slobs). I cannot really make a proper decision on this one though until I have achieved the next point.
  • Change job. Probably the most important of all the things that I want to achieve. I need to find a job that is challenging, but within my grasp, that pays enough do more than just survive, and which I will enjoy and flourish in. If I don't achieve anything else in the next 6 months I want to have achieved this one.
  • Eye surgery. I want to be free from contact lenses and glasses and have made the first step toward this goal. I have an appointment at the same place that my sister, Lynn, had her eyes lasered, so this should be achieved by Christmas hopefully.
  • Holiday. I haven't had a holiday abroad for about 16 years. The closest I have achieved is a long weekend in Torquay!! I need to get away, preferably with good company as I did my travelling alone when I was younger (albeit within this country) and I really don't want to do that alone again. Hopefully, next year could be my year to get to Aus.
  • Improve my skills. If I can't do this through changing jobs (or maybe in addition to doing it through changing jobs) I want to learn a skill or do a course to show future employers that I am still willing to learn, and to give me more scope in job hunting in the future should I need it.
  • Friends. Increasing my circle of friends is vital to my happiness. I currently have very few people who I can meet up with regularly, so new friends are a godsend. I am making some progress in achieving this and hopefully joining a gym, and becoming a supporter of Kings Cross Steelers should aid in this goal.
  • Reduce my junk. I have a very large collection of comics, action figures and other assorted junk. I need to reduce this down as it is a pain to shift every time I move home, it collects dust and takes up a lot of space. Though I don't think I could part with it all, I could certainly get rid of a few hundred comics (mainly the DC ones), and some of the action figures, as well as old stuff like videos, magazines etc. I just need a push to do it, and some luck selling on eBay!!
  • New Television. I never got around to replacing my old, bulky television after I ripped the aerial out of the back (I can still use it to watch DVD's). But I would like to replace it with something that takes up less space and is able to be used for the purpose it was intended. Something not too big, and with Freeview.
  • Clothing. I need to update my whole wardrobe. I have been trying to do this gradually since I had more money free, and I am getting there. But I need to buy outfits for ALL occasions (i.e. parties, winter, holidays, gym etc).

As you can see, all of the above goals are achievable, some easier than others, but will take time and some will take a LOT of money! Wish me luck as I think that it may be a long hard slog to achieve this list in total.

No comments: