Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 17 February 2008

Disappointed

I am a little disappointed and confused at the moment. While searching for pictures for the previous entry (Wales Rugby team) I came across an interview with a professional rugby player who I met about a year ago while in Rupert Street, a gay bar in Soho. I noticed this guy immediately as his broad back, in a tight silver t-shirt, was the first thing I saw upon entering the bar that night.
I admired him from afar as he was also very good looking and had as impressive a front as a back, and then eventually got to speak to him. He told me his name and that he was a professional rugby player. I asked if that was difficult being gay in that environment and he told me that his teammates knew. I guess I assumed that this meant he was out completely.
In the interview I read today, he talks about spending time with his girlfriend, which is what confused me. I don't know what to think now!
Was he out in a gay bar for a bet (though he was in there for ages)?
Or just with a gay mate?
Is he bisexual?
Was he just mentioning a girlfriend as a cover?
Or had he not "come to terms" with his sexuality at this point, the interview was from 2002 after all?
It frustrates me that I will probably never know as I will probably never be lucky enough to bump into him again, he has since moved teams away from London, but if he is really gay and it is just a cover then it is a good job that I'm an honorable person and didn't go blabbing to the Sun or someone similar!

4 comments:

Ray's Cowboy said...

I do understand you. He might be a bi-sexual. I know allot of people who are (I guess they want to double their chance for a date) It does mess with the mind. Hope you have a wonderful relaxing day.
hugs
Ray

Alex said...

Each to their own I say. I have no problem with him if he is bi or even straight, but I kind of liked the guy so I hope he wasn't lying to me.

iain said...

It doesn't matter if he's "Bi" ( a category I dispute, but that's a l-o-n-g subject). If he has romantic/sexual feelings for men he needs - NEEDS- to come out about it - there's more than enough vicious homophobia in sports; every coming-out by LGBT players chips away at prejudice and does immeasurable good for young people in need of out gay heroes (role models, whatever) to admire. In other words, if you're in the public eye, taking public money for what you do and if you're the object of public admiration and interest, you (I'm using the editorial "you" , BTW), you have an absolute duty to come out. No ifs ands or buts. Your Rugby player doesn't sound str8 to me, and 9 times out of 10 the "girlfriend" is a downright lie for the press. The number of closeted gay men in professional sport is STAGGERING. I have a thought. Why don't you (Alex!) out him ? And don't ANYONE give me that "entitled to privacy" horseshit. No he's not. Young men and women are DYING for fuck's sake, because cowards won't come out loud and proud. It isn't just a big party and drinks in Old Compton Street. It's a matter of life and death. Just ask Matthew Shepard. Oh that's right, you can't. He's DEAD.

Alex said...

See today's entry for a reply to Iain's suggestion to "out" this man.
But my view on sexuality is to see it as a spectrum. From 100% gay to 50/50 Bi all the way through to 100% straight.
You cannot decise who you will be attracted to. Some people are attracted to men and women. These people will either be more attracted to men, or to women, or equally to both sexes. There is no issue there for me, just don't ask me to try it!