Who's On-Line Now?

Thursday 11 October 2007

National Coming Out Day

Apparently it is National Coming Out Day again today (a national day that is "celebrated" internationally?), though I can't actually see that the day serves much point. Apparently, according to Wikipedia, participants are "encouraged ... to wear identifying symbols, such as the pink triangle, the Greek letter lambda (λ), and rainbows, in jewelry and on their cloting, to demonstrate their presence in all walks of life, all ages and all ethnic groups."
I do not disagree with the way people are encouraged to identify themselves, but this doesn't constitute "coming out." In my eyes, this is just being "out & proud" and would probably only be participated in by those who are already out in their work environment, with the occasional person using it as a tool to come out.
Are there any cases of any celebrities using National Coming Out Day to out themselves? Not that I could find any detail of. I think then, that the day should be renamed, but that's just my opinion.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Outing is not always easy but it's worth it! Anyway I think that we don't need a day like today.

Sven

Alex said...

I agree, there shouldn't have to be a day for coming out, it shouldn't be necessary. Any support that can be given to people to come out is, I'm sure appreciated, but in the end it is something that an individual has to do when they are ready and, to a certain extent, on their own.
And, it also cannot always be done in one go, an individual has many groups to come out to: family, friends and work colleagues, each posing it's own difficulties and worries.

Unknown said...

that's it!!!! I came out when I was seventeen and no problem.My parents told me: Don't worry, you only feel love, that's nice.

I am very lucky with my family but I know that for a lot of people is still a nightmare. And it's just about love!