Who's On-Line Now?

Thursday 13 August 2009

Strange Day

Today was another stressful day at work, quite boring (especially the morning), but not an entirely terrible one.
I had a conversation early on with my old manager, who is now a scheduler. He told me that he had put himself in for overtime at my site at the weekend, again, and asked (told) me to allow him parking for his car. I took this opportunity to give him the chance to start acting like a professional corporate security guard and said I would agree to allow him parking if he agreed to wear uniform. As expected he, in a roundabout way, declined, saying he wears a uniform of his own (normally combat trousers and a shirt with the top two buttons undone!). I told him he would at least be wearing a tie, which he scoffed at. Two other supervisors have let him get away with telling them what he wanted to do, I wasn't about to.
I had a word with my current boss (or deputy boss as the other is on holiday) and informed him about this guy's refusal to wear uniform. Little did I know he would take it so far up the chain of command. He told his boss, who in turn told her boss, who looked into this guy's behaviour on site and noticed that, in addition to his poor appearance, that he also left site early on Sunday (something of which I was unaware). My old manager was then told he was banned from our site and is subject to disciplinary procedures for his leaving site early. Not what I intended, but I have always said that, after he was removed from his managerial position, he should never have had anything more to do with the site. Hopefully it will now stay that way.
Unfortunately he is now seeking allies from my site to be witnesses in his disciplinary (just as he did with his last one!). Can anyone see a pattern here? Apparently he has had disciplinaries at almost all of his jobs, something of which he is seemingly proud of (and incredibly arrogant about, having survived every single one!).

Also today I had a disagreement with a guard who I had told to stay at his position while I found out some information. When I returned he was gone, which was a pity for him as I was about to let him go home a bit early. He caught up with me about 10 minutes later and started telling me angrily how he didn't want to stay late because he hadn't been paid for the last time he had to stay late. When he calmed down I informed him of his missed opportunity and told him that if he had told me about his missing money earlier today I could have sorted something for him, and that he will now have to wait until tomorrow.

Lastly, I managed to have a word with my boss's boss, who I get on with, and who I think has a fairly good opinion of me (emphasis on the "think"). I told her that I wanted to get out of security and was looking for an admin-type position. I asked if she knew of any such position within the company and, if not, if she could keep an eye out for me. She told me to send her a c.v. and a covering letter and she would forward it to recruitment who would keep it on file. I doubt that anything will come of it, but you never know and it certainly cannot hurt.

No comments: