Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 16 August 2009

Another Set Over And Done

I've just finished this set of shifts and, I hate to admit it, but it wasn't all bad. I have computer access (some of the time) now and we needed some forms sorting out (as we have no set procedures or forms to record things on, so I sorted them out over the last 2 days. It is something that the manager or senior supervisor should have done already but we have seen no such organisation from either of them (one of whom is on holiday and the other has handed his notice in!).
The one who has handed his notice will need replacing so I hope that I have made myself helpful enough to be considered for this position should it be offered. I'm not sure that I want it, it would depend on what his duties actually are, but it would be nice to be considered. I think I scored some more brownie points today when I potentially saved the building from burning down.

[Some soup warmers had been left on in the staff canteen, which is something that doesn't actually show up with lights or anything. I noticed a sound as I walked through today, which must have been the metal expanding in the heat. The bottom of both of these headers, which are large bowls recessed into the counter-top, were going brown where they were being scorched. I managed to find the off switch and turned them off. No one has been working in the kitchen since Friday late afternoon, so they must have been on that whole time! It is a shame too as the canteen is probably going to be up and running fully for the first time tomorrow, with the last of the staff moving in. I hope it doesn't affect things too much.]

Anyway, I reported the matter to the facilities manager (as I hadn't been told who was in charge of catering) and she seemed pleased that a crisis had been averted. She is also the one who I spoke to the other day about changing jobs, and who I gave my C.V. to.

I have also had a couple of guards tell me that I should be the one to manage this site, though, unfortunately, they were not guards whose opinion I value.
We shall see.

I need to stop doing nights as soon as possible, and want to leave security completely. It doesn't seem that a new career is going to be forthcoming very quickly so a change of responsibilities might be just the thing I need. We shall have to wait and see!

No comments: