Who's On-Line Now?

Saturday 8 August 2009

Easier Night

Last night was easier than the previous two. I was still in a snappy mood. Any time anything doesn't go to MY plan at work I would snap at someone. Don't get me wrong, then need kicking into shape, but I really don't enjoy being the one to do it. I guess it is just a symptom of my depression, which is rearing its ugly head again this week. I am not feeling too bad at the moment, but on my first 2 shifts of this set I was nearing rock-bottom, much as I was about 18 months ago when I quit the job I'd only worked 3-and-a-bit shifts at.

Last night got easier as the air conditioning kicked in. Yes! They finally left it on during a night shift. It didn't affect the control room where I am most of the shift, as we have no air con there, but the night was a cooler one anyway and at least on my breaks I could go elsewhere to cool down. I couldn't before.
The new boss is now off on holiday for 2 weeks, having not sorted anything out. I am still wearing a hybrid of my old uniform and the new one (miss-matching jacket and trousers, not a good look). We have still not seen the assignment instructions, which tell us exactly what is expected of us in each duty we do. And we have no rosters to tell us who is working when (we know the basic shift pattern, but not who is due to work overtime etc.). A shambles.
At the end of the shift I had to be pleasant to the former manager who was in today to cover an extra shift (for stuff being moved into the building). As I think I have said before, he shouldn't be allowed to work here, after being taken off site as manager, but somehow he is. I left as soon as I was able.

I didn't get as much sleep as I had hoped for, as there were roadworks going on outside and the shop opposite is also having a refurb, so lots of banging and sawing.
One more shift and then 4 days off. Hurrah!

Oh, and I applied for, what sounds like, my perfect job today too. It is working for a charity, compiling news stories from the media for a newsletter with stories that "may interest their members." It is similar to some of the work I was doing in the job I was sacked from. So, fingers crossed. It is good money too, which I was amazed at, more than I am on now. Too good to be true? The "glass-half empty" guy that I am doesn't think I'll even hear back (as I haven't with the last 20 jobs I've applied for), but you never know.....

No comments: