Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 23 August 2009

Project 2996: Rediscovered

I was bored again last night so I was going through Wikipedia by pressing the "random page" option. I was then reminded of 9/11 on one page and instantly thought of Project 2996 that I had contributed to back in 2006. I was glad to find that the project is still going strong.

Project 2996 is a memorial project to remember all those who lost their lives as victims of the 9/11 attacks in the USA. What the site does is ask for volunteers, normally people who have their own website or blog, to write a tribute to one victim. I was honoured to be given the name Michael John Cahill and, through internet research, found him to be a loving and generous father, husband and son.
This time around I have asked for a different name to be given to me, so that I can discover a new "friend." I think it is an important project, as 9/11 is something that can NEVER be, and should never be, forgotten. It is an example of how evil mankind can be, and also of how good we can be.
9/11 is the best and worst of us and we should always remember it so we never stoop to such evil actions again and so we can strive to achieve heroic actions like hundreds of people did on that day.

If you are reading this and have your own blog / website, I urge you to consider your feelings and try and contribute to this worthy project. It makes me sad whenever I think of the loss the world endured on that day, but the grief and the purged tears make me stronger each time. The least you can do is check out the site, and read the previous years' comments and tributes.

No comments: