Who's On-Line Now?

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Gays the Word

I finally decided to make a trip that I have been meaning to do for ages now. I made my way to Gays the Word, a gay book shop near Russell Square. It has a special place in my heart as it is the first ever gay establishment that I ever visited, about 19 years ago! I had just met up with a gay pen pal that I had and he and his boyfriend took me there, before going on to First Out and then the King's Arms. It was the start of something for me. The beginning of me discovering exactly who I was, rather than who I was trying to be for my family and "friends."
It isn't that far away, but it isn't near anywhere I normally go or on the way to anywhere I normally go, so I kept putting it off. A while ago I heard that the shop was in trouble as business wasn't going well, and I intended to visit to show my support, but never got around to it. It turned out that support from the community managed to stabilise the business, until recently when their rent went up extortionately.
I managed to find the book that I was looking for, a companion to one that I already had. I also bought the latest Attitude and GT magazine, as I hadn't bought either for years and wanted to see what they were like now.
I did a few other chores too, like picking up my dry cleaning, putting my boots in to be fixed. And I went to the gym again. Nick was there again and as friendly as ever.
I was intending to go out tonight but I really don't have the energy and I should try and save some money. I have just one more day off before I go back to work. It is always disappointing to go back to work with no news of any possible new jobs. I am going to have to explain why I didn't apply for the helpdesk job there too, which will be difficult as I don't even know myself why!

No comments: