Who's On-Line Now?

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Captain America

I've just learned, via BBC News, that gorgeous Chris Evans is to play Captain America, in the upcoming film First Avenger: Captain America. If it is indeed true then he will inevitably play the same character in the Avengers film which is set to follow this one. I think it is good casting, but I am disappointed because it breaks a rule I have for superhero films. I do not believe that any actor should be allowed to play more than one character for the same comic book companies film. He has already played the Human Torch in the first two Fantastic Four films, so I don't think he should play any other character in a Marvel film. I was even disappointed when James Marsden played a character in Superman Returns after playing Cyclops in the X-Men films, even though the films are from 2 different franchises. I guess it's another example of how weird I am!
I guess we shall have to wait and see if it actually happens, and how good the film, and it's follow-ons, turns out to be!

5 comments:

J said...

He was about the only thing I liked in the Fantastic Four films...so I'm pretty stoked to hear this.

Alex said...

I agree, he was the best thing in the FF films (especially the second one). I'm sure that he will certainly fill out the costume!!!!

J said...

I'd read that he might still be on the fence about taking up Cap's shield...because he wants to avoid being typecast as a 'super hero' type...and is leery of the rumored 11 picture commitment to Marvel...I guess those other pictures might include appearances/cameos in Avengers movies or other one-shot hero films.

Alex said...

Wow! 11 films really? I thought that was the number of films that Marvel were committed to in total for the near future).
I guess it might be like Samuel L Jackson appearing at the end of Iron Man, and Robert Downey Jr at the end of Incredible Hulk, paving the way for the Avengers.
He could cameo in Thor and Ant-Man (if that goes ahead), and then star in the Avengers 1-3 as well as the Cap film, but I can't see someone agreeing to 11 films!

J said...

Here are the articles I was thinking of when I commented:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/will-chris-evans-play-captain-america/

http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/evans-in-captain-america-deal-mode/

I guess it was ONLY nine options to play Captain America...but that's still a lot of studly Chris Evans film action. :)