Who's On-Line Now?

Tuesday 21 October 2008

Frustration and Irony

I am laying here in bed unable to sleep, which I find ironic as while I was at work yesterday I found it difficult to keep my eyes open. I have 2 hours until I have to get up to go to work and I really could do with the rest, unfortunately sleep eludes me. I can also feel the beginnings of a cold grabbing hold of my lungs and depression setting in once more too.
I am also finding irony in the fact that ever since I had a conversation with my doctor about coming off of my anti-depressant medication, that I have been feeling down. It is frustrating as up until that point I had been feeling pretty close to fantastic. It didn't help when my wages were messed up again, but that mistake had been almost rectified by a payment going into my account yesterday, although again I have been charged a higher rate of tax due to it being an interim payment. I just can't seem to catch a break lately.
I really hate my job at the moment, more than normally. My boss asked me what the matter was yesterday, not through any concern, but because I wasn't joining in with his racist rants and childish behaviour (he was upset because the mobile supervisor had sat in his chair!! As a result, he has placed plastic barriers around his desk! Pathetic!). I just could not be bothered to humour him yesterday and so kept quiet, which was a struggle as I just wanted to rant at him and tell him how pathetic he seemed. He even suggested that I let him know when I get another job as I "will need a boss there too!" As if I would work for him again. He is useless. Another thing he was ranting about yesterday was the state of the relief guard who worked over the weekend: he had been stood in the control room with his outdoor coat and woolly hat on, even while the mobile supervisor had been on site. A genuine concern for the appearance of the guarding force, but coming from my manager who refuses to wear uniform himself with the zeal of a child refusing to wear his school uniform it is, dare I say it again, pathetic. He was sat there at his desk saying this while dressed in combat trousers,boots and a white shirt undone to his cleavage! I expect my managers to lead by example.
And as for his racist rantings! He has been accused of being racist many times by the two security firms I have worked with him in at this site. The accusations have been made because of the amount of black and Asian guards he had thrown off site for various reasons. Almost all of these guards have been pretty darn useless and have been rejected for legitimate reasons, but his racist rants do not help his case. But, to be honest, 99% of the guards we are sent are black or Asian and, because the rate of pay is among the lowest in the company, are the lowest motivated guards. Therefore we get guards coming in late all the time, for which we, the regular guards have to make up the time (often not getting paid for it), they sleep on duty on purpose, and turn up looking scruffy and not in the correct uniform (not always their fault). We also have silly rules on this site. For example, in the control room regular guards now have limited Internet access, bit relief guards don't. Despite this they are still not allowed to bring in their laptops to help keep them alert and awake! I would have thought that anything that kept the guards from sleeping would be embraced, but obviously not.
I really need out of this place it is doing my head in!
Anyway, enough of the ranting. I am now going to see if I can get some sleep in the hour and a half I have left before I have to get up for my fabulous job!

No comments: