Who's On-Line Now?

Tuesday 11 November 2008

Sad News

I checked my mobile on my way home from work today to find I had a voicemail message. We aren't allowed to have our phones on at work, so I have it on silent, which is why I missed the call. It was from my sister Lynn to tell me that my step-nan, Lily, had died.
I was never close to her, and over the last few years we haven't kept in touch, but I did like her for the fact that she made the last few years of my granddad's life happy. She was his third wife, the first two having died. I never knew my real nan, but his second wife, Hilda, was a horrid woman. She made him spend all their money on her grandchildren and very little on us and treated us as the literal poor relations. For example, one Christmas, between the four of us (my 2 sisters, my brother and I) we got a box of Roses chocolates between us. Not a big round tin! No! Just the one normal trapezoid box between us. That same year I believe it was, she showed Lynn, my eldest sister, a beautiful doll with flowing hair and told her that it was what she had bought for HER granddaughter! Spiteful woman eh!
We all used to hate going over to their house, but mum forced us to even after my father died. I hadn't know my other nan, as I said, so I assumed that granddad had always been like that.
He completely changed when he married Lily, and we all grew to like him again. We were glad that this nicer side of him had come out again before he died. I will always be grateful to her for the happiness she brought him and us.

No comments: