Who's On-Line Now?

Thursday 19 June 2008

I Had A Little Idea....

A couple of weeks back, while trying to figure out what to do with my life, I came up with an idea that I got quite excited about. I wanted to create an internet-based information directory for LGBT people, especially young people who are just coming out, coming to terms with, or realising that they are gay.
When I was a kid I knew from an early age that I was gay. I didn't know the word, I didn't know exactly what it meant, but I knew that I liked guys not girls. I also "knew" that it was "wrong." I had no idea where to get information about being gay, I didn't even know where to start. I eventually phoned the Samaritans and they gave me the phone number of the Gay Switchboard in London and that, along with my friendship with Craig Armet led me to learning who I was and who I could be. He and the friends I made through him were responsible for my "gay education" and for making me the person I am today. I have infinitely more confidence than I did as a child and I am a reasonably sane and good person. I believe every child has the right to this information.
I wanted to provide a website detailing biographies of famous gay people, laws that affect the gay community, places associated with the community, interviews with gay celebrities and details of charities and youth groups to help people become who they really want to be.
I was sort of aiming for a Wikipedia-style database, but more of a magazine content. I have no funds, no business acumen and do not have the writing or website skills to sort this out, but I still feel it is an important project.
Today I received an email advising me of a new website, Wiki.PinkPaper.com, which is similar to Wikipedia and organised by the British free weekly Pink Paper people. It is slightly more than your normal wiki and I have yet to explore it all, but it does seem that I have been gazumped in my idea, even though this project doesn't go as far as I wanted to.
Oh well, back to the drawing board. Whatever will my next (non-starting) idea be? Who knows, but stay watching, there is bound to be one!
Maybe I should go back to my idea about The Decade? Hhmmmnnnn!!

No comments: