Who's On-Line Now?

Monday 2 June 2008

Craig Armet

As mentioned briefly in the last post, today would have been the birthday of one of my best friends who sadly passed away 5 years ago. Craig was a mobile DJ, who also used to run a gay night at Boxes in Exeter and later went on to work on Plymouth Sound and South Hams radio stations. He was a minor celebrity in Devon and known by hundreds (if not thousands) of people around the Torquay area.
I met Craig about 17 years ago after putting an advert in the Record Mirror magazine for gay "penpals," out of 10 replies he was the only one I kept in touch with. Soon after getting to know him via letters and phonecalls I plucked up the courage to visit him in Torquay. I had no gay friends at the time and it was a big step for me. I was introduced to many of Craig's friends on my first day there and felt slightly overwhelmed but they were all great and very friendly. After my first visit I began to visit Craig in Torquay more and more. It got to a point where I was going down there up to six times a year for a week at a time. At the first opportunity I moved down to Torquay and stayed there for a few years.
Craig was always there for me, even understanding when I all but ignored him when I started seeing my first (and only) boyfriend while I was living in Torquay. When I became single again he was there for me (as was Alexis) and helped me come to terms with being dumped. He was also there for me (along with Alexis again) when my mum died, a couple of months after moving away from Torquay.
I can't express what a difference Craig made to my life, but I know I wouldn't be the person I am now without his influence. I am grateful for his friendship and for the friendships I have made, and maintained, through him.
Craig, thank you, you are missed.

No comments: