Who's On-Line Now?

Thursday 4 September 2008

Two Weeks Off Work

Last night I worked my first night shift on the new roster and I hated it. Every hour and a half we had to do half a building patrol and during the rest of the time we had to swap over positions every half an hour (it would normally be a whole building patrol 3 times a night and swapping around every hour or 2 hours). It is meant to make the night go quicker and stop people sleeping (the real reason it was introduced), but it made the night drag for me. I got really tired at around 04:00 and wanted to go home then.
Unfortunately, I had to wait until 07:45 as one of the new guards was late (AGAIN), and I was not happy. This is the 4th time in 5 shifts that this guy has been late to work, and when he is there he is next to useless. My boss has been told that he cannot get rid of him though "because he is black!" Talk about reverse racism. The company I work for are worried that too many black guards have been rejected from our site, thinking that the manager is racist. That arguement doesn't wash though as they have only sent us black guards, almost all of which have been useless. The one guard who was any good was taken off site by them and placed elsewhere. I hardly think it is fair to say that my manager is racist either, as the longest member of staff on the team is black and I am the third longest serving guard (on-and-off) and I'm gay!
It really makes me angry when people use their "minority status" as an get-out card to be lazy or commit criminal acts.
I now have two weeks off work and I intend to use the time to search for a job, work on my writing (and my blog) and genarlly have a good time. This last task will have to wait until next Wednesday as, guess what, I'm skint again!

No comments: