Who's On-Line Now?

Saturday 6 September 2008

Extended Family

More good news (my life is bountiful at the moment [**jinx**]):
Thanks to the wonders of Facebook I have rediscovered some more family I had lost contact with.
About 12 years ago, around the time of my paternal grandfather's death, my immediate family lost contact with my father's brother and his family, for reasons I don't want to go into. Recently, thanks to Facebook, I rediscovered my cousin's daughter Eden, and through her my cousins Marcelle and Brett. Because of this, and my sister Maxine also adding them to her friends list, they were all invited to her wedding last Saturday and it was great to see them, their dad (my uncle), and their partners and kids who we had previously never met. It was great to see them all again and it felt good to have an extended family once more.
This good fortune got me thinking yesterday and so I searched for my other cousin, Santa (my mother's brother's daughter) on Facebook. Lo-and-behold she was there so I invited her to be a friend and sent a message and today we have been chatting and catching up on all the news.
She has 3 kids herself and tells me that she missed not having an extended family as she grew up. To explain, I only ever met her once, which was just after my father died when my mother and I went to stay with Uncle Tony for a couple of days. I don't know if my brother and sisters have ever met her. Other than that visit I only recal seeing my uncle once before, around the time my father actually died. For reasons of his own, and to my and my siblings' disgust, he didn't even turn up for my mum's funeral. Whatever the reasons I can't blame Santa for his actions, so thought it was great to actually chat with her after nearly 30 years!
She lives in London too, so a meeting isn't out of the question, but we will see what happens.
Facebook has its critics, some of them very vocal, but it has helped reunite me with missing members of my family and keeps me in touch with family, friends and work colleagues old and new. Bless you Facebook, and all who use you for good purposes.

2 comments:

Ray's Cowboy said...

I am glad you have another family. I bet this makes you smile even brighter. You are one lucky Man, Alex.
Hugs
Ray

Alex said...

Normally I would be bracing myself for the payback for my recent good luck and good mood. But I feel that it is about time my fortune changed for the better and this could be the start. Optimism is a strange feeling for me, but I like it.