Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 21 September 2008

Strictly New Series

I finally managed to get to watch the first episode of the new series of Strictly Come Dancing today. I had intended to watch it after work yesterday, but it hadn't made it's way to BBC iPlayer by the time I went to bed, so I had to wait until today.
Unfortunately, this meant that I watched the elimination show before seeing the full first show, so I saw Phil Daniels go out in the first week. This was a shame, but not totally unexpected. I did, however, think that he danced better than Don Warrington who was also in the dance off.
From the first show I was incredibly impressed with how good many of the men were, the women are dancing next week. The three men I was mainly watching for all danced well with Tom Chambers (dancing with Camilla Dallerup) looking really comfortable, full of confidence and appearing to enjoy the whole dance.
Austin Healy, probably the sexiest of the men (you know I like my rugby men), looked dashing dancing the waltz with Erin Boag and was very smooth around the dance floor.
Mark Foster, also a very sexy guy but slightly too tall for my liking (fussy aren't I?), looked slightly awkward throughout the dance with Hayley Holt and appeared to have a nervous smile the whole time, not looking like he was really enjoying himself.
Of the other dancers, who I don't have a sexual interest in, I was most impressed with John Sergeant, dancing with new professional dancer to the series Kristina Rihanoff. I was expecting John to be awful and to be the first one off the show, but he surprised everyone by performing a sweet waltz while looking slightly nervous and self conscious the whole while, but performing it fairly smoothly nonetheless. Looking like a bit of an odd couple, he could have been the father of the bride dancing with his daughter, and looked every bit as proud of her as that role would have demanded.
Gary Rhodes was awful, and I actually felt really sorry for Karen Hardy having to dance with him. He is such a perfectionist but has nothing near the talent that is required for this show. I hope to see then end of him pretty soon.
We only got to see the female celebrities dancing in a group performance in the main show and the dance-off show, but I didn't see any that stood out from the rest in a good way. I already do not like Jessie Wallace, for her personality not her dancing, which is a shame as she is with my favourite male dancer Darren Bennett. I shan't be routing for Rachel Stevens and Heather Small either as I do not like their dance partners, Vincent Simone and Brian Fortuna respectively. Sorry girls.
The female celebrity that I would like to see do well is Gillian Taylforth, dancing with Anton du Beke, as I have always liked her in all her acting roles. Unfortunately, in the group dance from yesterday she looked like she had forgotten most of the moves, so she may not last long. Although he isn't anywhere near my favourite dancer, I do feel sorry for Anton having yet another possible lame duck.
Overall I think it was a very promising start to the series and I look forward to following the whole season of shows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello :)

Why is it that you don't like Brian Fortuna? He and Heather did not get as much camera time as the others, so how did you see enough of him not to like him already?

Alex said...

I saw the pre-season introduction the week before the show started and, I'm not sure why, but he gives me the creeps. I think it that insipid smile he permanently has on his face. Sorry.