Who's On-Line Now?

Monday 8 September 2008

72

That is the age I will live to. Middle age had hit me and, being 36 now, that means, logically, that I will live until I am 72.
I had this revelation while getting out of the shower this morning. I bend down to pick up the towel and groaned as I did so. It reminded me of an episode of Frasier I had watched earlier today. In it, Frasier's dad was explaining to Frasier about middle age and the symptoms he might be experiencing, such as having to get up in the middle of the night to pee, and groaning as he gets off of the couch.
Guilty as charged! I experience these symptoms too, along with many others. I have been feeling my age a lot more recently, and worse than that, shock horror, I'm even beginning to look it. Up until recently I have been told consistently that I look a lot younger than I am, but not so much lately.
It doesn't help when you work with a team who are almost all at least 5 years younger than you, and some of them I'm even old enough to have spawned. I talk to them about events, people and television shows that they are too young to remember, and I constantly feel behind on the latest technology (am I the only person without an iPod and who doesn't know the specs of my computer?).
And speaking of spawning, my niece has two daughters now, and one of my nephews is 16 (as is one of my cousin's boys). I was always a great uncle but now I am Great Uncle twice over, that's enough to make you feel old.
Despite all of this, or maybe because of it, I am still in a great mood lately. I have been really upbeat since at least last weekends wedding and I love it. Even though I am skint at the moment and bored with being stuck at home, I am still in a positive frame of mind. Great eh? I wish I knew the secret, but I don't, and I'm not going to question it too much in case it disappears like the ephemeral thing that it (happiness) really is!

No comments: