Who's On-Line Now?

Friday 26 September 2008

Check Up

I decided last night that I would go for a check up at the sexual health clinic today. I hadn't been for a check up for about 7 years, so it was about time and I had been meaning to do it for a couple of years. What prompted me to make it today was the fact that I thought I had an infection. I was kept awake last night for hours by an irritation in my penis.
I hadn't realised before today, but there is a sexual health clinic at St Bart's Hospital, which is just around the corner from home. Ideal. And today they were holding a walk-in clinic.
I was lulled into a false sense of security by the reception room downstairs as it was empty. I thought I would get served pretty quickly. Not so. I had to fill a form out there and then was sent to another waiting room on the first floor. There were 7 people already waiting in there, so I knew that I was in for a bit of a wait. Everyone was desperately trying not to look at each other, for some reason. Embarrassment? I didn't really fancy any of the guys there, though a couple were okay looking. I don't know if I would have chatted any of them up if I had fancied them considering where I was and why I (and they) were there. Who knows.
It turned out to be about 2 hours before I was initially seen, when they took blood, a mouth swap and the dreaded penis swab (ouch). I then had to wait about half an hour for the initial results.
It turns out that I do have a non-specific urethritis, cause unknown. I have been given tablets, which I have taken and that should cure it. I am to abstain from sex for a whole week though!! (Like that will be an issue, especially as I haven't even felt like having a w**k lately!)
I will get the results of my blood test in about 10-14 days, to tell me my HIV status and if the Hepatitis jab I had previously had taken. So I will let you know when I know.

2 comments:

Ray's Cowboy said...

hope everything turns out ok.
Ray

Alex said...

Thanks. I'm not worried though. I am at a very low risk of HIV, but even if I am HIV+ I will deal with it like I deal with everything else ... moan like hell and be glad that I have something to moan about, otheriwse I would be really miserable! :-)