Who's On-Line Now?

Friday 20 July 2007

First Day

Well, I went to our office today to pick up my work laptop and in anticipation of some calls as our advert went into Metro today. Before I'd even left the flat I was not happy as Andy from work had text me to say that the advert wasn't in the paper. Even my business partner, Bob, text to tell me the same. I had 2 heavy bags to take to the office, so on my way I only picked up 2 copies of the Metro as I didn't want to carry loads if the advert wasn't in there.
Happily I found the advert straight away. It wasn't exactly where we thought it would be and was black and white and not colour but it was there. I made a point of phoning Bob to tell him that he must be blind. The advert was actually bigger than we had paid for, possibly to make up for the lack of colour. I'm glad we didn't go to the expense of getting the logo put onto the advert too!
Angela was already in the office when I got there, and I began checking out my laptop immediately. I set a few websites as favourites, began compiling news stories and then at around midday we got a call. One possible client phoned to say the ad had caught their eye (which I was very pleased about) and was enquiring about the Gap-Year Service we offer.
Unfortunately we only received one other confirmation that our advert had been seen was from a sales newspaper in the Midlands, asking if we want to take advantage of a special offer to advertise in their paper. Their editor had seen our ad in the Derby edition of the Metro and thought we would be ideal for their front page, given the current security climate. They had a cancellation and so could offer us a great rate for a front page advert, in their daily paper for 4 weeks. After checking them out, we bit their hand off and our advert starts there on Monday.
We had lots of interest in our website though, and so hopefully we will get some business out of the advert, considering how much it cost us I really hope so.
While at the office I also managed to complete half an itinerary, a full itinerary normally takes at least 12 hours of work, so it was a productive day.

Personally, I managed to avoid the heavy rain (and bloody hell was it heavy), unfortunately I did get caught up in the travel disruption due to the widescale flooding.

3 comments:

gab said...

saw your ad in the paper!

good luck :)

Alex said...

Excellent, glad you did. Look out for it again on Friday 27th! We're in again.

gab said...

mike got the paper this morning