Who's On-Line Now?

Wednesday 18 July 2007

Depression

I wasn't sure whether to mention this or not, as it isn't something I talk about much, to anybody. But I think it is important to say, so here goes:
As of 2 days ago, I am official free of taking my anti-depressant drugs, which I had been taking since the beginning of 2001, when I finally decided to get some help in dealing with my depression.
I have suffered from depression since I was a child, (for various reasons but mainly, I believe, due to my brain's inability to produce enough of the correct chemicals). When I was 18 I even attempted suicide, though obviously not successfully.
I had put off seeking help for years and was deterred even more when I discovered a work-colleague had come off her anti-depressants after 14 years on them! I didn't want to be dependant on drugs for such a long time.
In 2001 I finally gave in and got some help. Luckily my employers at the time, HSBC, were very pro-active when it came to dealing with personal problems like this and they even provided me with a series of free counselling sessions and I sought assistance from my doctor at the same time. It took a while to find the right drug to correct my "chemical imbalance" but once I had things began to get infinitely better for me. I made a point of telling my employers that I was on medication, as they have a duty of care to me and I thought I should tell them in case something should happen. I also told my closest friend at the time, Lee, and my eldest sister Lynn. Other than that I don't think I have mentioned it to anyone else, partly through embarrassment, but mainly because I didn't want sympathy and I didn't want to keep having to explain myself every time I mentioned it.
At the beginning of this year, after not having any prolonged "bad" periods, I decided that I would like to try and come off of my medication and see how I go. With the way things were at work, with uncertainty over whether I would have a job and what was happening with our contract, I thought it wouldn't be a good time to come off the medication, so I kept putting the decision off.
I also thought that it may not be a good time with us starting the business at this time too. I decided that I could make excuses like this forever, so I needed to bite the bullet and try and come off the medication.
About 3 months ago I spoke to my doctor and he gave me a prescription and a plan for gradually coming off the medication over a gradual period. This came to an end 2 days ago and I am now not taking any medication. I am happy to say that I have not had any depression related symptoms in the time I have been coming off the medication and so I hope I will be okay from now on. My doctor is there for me if I feel I am not coping, as is my sister.

The main reason I am now sharing this information is to encourage anyone suffering with depression, in silence on their own, to seek help, because it is out there. If you are lucky to work for a good employer, or have a good doctor, a good friend, a family member you can talk to, can call the Samaritans, or can face seeking help from another organisation, then you should do it. Help is out there and you should seek it because it works. It may take a while but it can get better.

2 comments:

Old Cheeser said...

Good for you for being so honest. I've gone through a similar situation myself and it isn't easy. Life can be a bitch sometimes and hard to deal with. But I think it's fantastic that you've had the courage to come off the depressants after such a long time. Can't be an easy decision but I'm sure it'll be (mostly) uphill from now on.

Alex said...

Thanks for the encouraging words.