Who's On-Line Now?

Saturday 3 May 2008

The Poison Sky

********SPOILER WARNING********

I missed Dr Who earlier as I was working until 19:00 so after checking emails etc etc I watched it on BBC iPlayer, followed by Dr Who Confidential. I was looking forward to seeing this second part of the Sontaran story as the first part was so good last week, and I wasn't let down at all.
There was a great performance from Bernard Cribbins, as Donna's grandfather and Donna herself was in tears (again!), and her mum even saved the day in an unusual fashion by taking an axe to the car windscreen, which she conveniently keeps by the front door in case of burglars (remind me never to argue with her!)!
A full on battle between UNIT and the Sontarans added to the excitement, with guns, lasers, bazookas and big explosions it was truly a war. And we also had the Valiant appearing in the sky to disperse the Sontaran gas from around the battle site so that UNIT's soldiers vision was unimpared.
My only problem with the special effects was after the Doctor had ignited the atmosphere to eliminate the gas completely. When the tide of flames eventually passed, having cleared the gas, the sky should have been completely cleared, shouldn't it, but there were still a few small clouds in the sky. Though, not being a meteorologist I couldn't say for sure. Maybe that type of cloud occurs further up in the atmosphere or something! I guess that is possible.
And, cuteness alert, one of Luke Rattigan's "students" was actually quite attractive, played by Leeshon Alexander (I think), cute.

Confidential was quite interesting too, with a look back at the history of the Sontarans. It even had a brief chat with Colin Baker and Elisabeth Sladen, who in Dr Who have both encountered the Sontarans before. It is such a shame that three of the old Doctors have passed on now, as I would love to see interviews with them to find out what they think of the resurgence of popularity of the show.

*******ANOTHER SPOILER WARNING********
****Just in case you missed the earlier one!****
You really may not want to read any further if you don't want to know what is coming up in DR WHO!

Also, I have discovered a blog dedicated to Dr Who, drwhomania, which is worth checking out if you want to know what is coming up. I have just read about some of the episodes coming up and I am getting even more excited. An episode with the Doctor, Donna, Martha, Rose, Mickey, Jackie, Sarah Jane and Cap'n Jack! WOW! Oh and the return of Davros, the Raknoss, and an Agatha Christie story, explaining her 10 day disappearance (which really happened). Things are just getting better and better with this series.
Next week we have the daughter of the Doctor!! And I think that this episode may be the one in which my mate Tim was an extra in one scene, but I will have to confirm that with him!

No comments: