Who's On-Line Now?

Friday 9 May 2008

Eye, Trouble!

I had another appointment at the optician booked for this morning at 11:00, so diligently made my way there. When I got to the store I was surprised to see the front door covered over with a corrugated metal sheet and broken glass laying all over the floor inside. The designer glasses frames section looked empty so I guess they must have had a smash and grab sometime last night. They could have taken the time to phone me to cancel my appointment, though I am not too bothered as it was an excuse to get me out of the flat (I probably would have dossed around indoors for a couple more hours otherwise).
I phoned the opticians and the call was transferred to another store which I then went to visit in the hopes that I could get some lenses to ride me over until I can make another appointment. No go. I would have to have a full eye examination as the records are kept in individual stores and not on a national network for all Vision Express stores! I am working all week next week, so I will have to wait until the week after to get another appointment there. Annoying, but I was still in a pretty good frame of mind.
This second store was right by where I used to work (and was sacked from) so as I walked past the building I saw someone I knew and went over for a chat. Jackie and I ended up chatting for nearly an hour and I spoke briefly to 2 other guards there too! It seems things are just getting worse and worse there, and the only reason most of the guard force stay is that it is good money that they have gotten used to earning. I know it was a shock to my system when I had to cope with a dramatic decrease in my earnings, I'm still adjusting now!
I was glad to hear that the place is still not a good environment to work in, although I obviously felt sorry for my former work colleagues who are still there.
I said my goodbyes and walked back home, and although the sun wasn't yet out on this muggy morning I was still really hot.
The sun is now out in force and the heat is bearable. I should be out in it, I guess, but I can't think of where to go without having to spend money. Therefore I am just going to enjoy the sun through my window and chill. Apparently it is meant to be nicer tomorrow, so I'll look forward to that, along with my drinks and meal with Lee. Should be a good day.

No comments: