Who's On-Line Now?

Thursday 6 March 2008

I Chickened Out

In case you hadn't guessed from the times on this and the last post, I didn't go for the interview this morning. I lay awake for a lot of the night debating over whether I should or shouldn't go and decided that, however much I hate interviews, that I should go as it would be wasting a possible opportunity otherwise.
This morning I got up in plenty of time and began to get ready. I hadn't filled in the application form that they sent with the letter advising me of the interview, so I began to fill that in. I hate application forms too, as they seem to ask so many irrelevant questions nowadays especially if you do not get the job in the end. Information like passport number, driving licence number and bank account details shouldn't be asked until you have accepted a job. Well in my opinion anyway!
It wasn't that that stopped me though. It was when I got to personal references and previous employment. They wanted 4 personal references! 4!! Normally it is just 2. Now I would be able to find four people at a push, but I don't have their personal addresses to hand right now, so I couldn't complete that part. Also for previous employers I was still debating whether I should put down the job I left after 3 (and a bit) shifts. I hate lying, as I am really bad at it, but it looks bad on me that I left there after so short a time. Also they wanted confirmation about my time as a director of my own company, with the address of my accountant and an additional reference which I guess would have had to have been my business partner. Again I do not have all these details to hand right now! It was at this point I gave up and decided to cancel the interview.
I tried to phone top let them know I wouldn't be attending, but the call went through to an automated system which asked me to spell the name of the person I wanted to contact and then it didn't recognise the name! I gave up!
I looked at the rest of the form and that reinforced my decision. They gave 13 spaces for previous employers! And they also wanted me to agree to a medical, which I do not agree with at any job. You have to declare any ailments or disabilities anyway so there should be no need for a further medical.
I am certainly going to have to call my old boss and ask for my job back now! I really don't want to go back but I have to have some money come in!
I am still waiting for my miracle answer to reveal itself, but it is taking its time!

2 comments:

Ray's Cowboy said...

I feel for you. I am sorry you chicken out, but there might have been a reason for it. I agree with you on the info. I do not know if I could or would give out that info. I could give you a special Medical (if you know what I mean, since I am a nurse), so rry but trying to cheer you up. I am in your court and hop eyou have a wonderful day anyway.
HUGS to you.
Ray

Alex said...

Thanks, it is appreciated.
I just wonder if I am making excuses so I don't have to go back to work. My mum always said that I was lazy!