Who's On-Line Now?

Wednesday 26 May 2010

Barbican Cruising

I've just had a quick wander around the Barbican to test out my new digital camera, much like I did with the one that I bought last year. Last year's one was crap (you had to select the type of picture before each snap, they all came out blurred and you couldn't see the viewscreen in daylight!). This one is much better, it automatically selects the right settings, if it needs a flash and the view screen is great.
I also noticed, once again while I was walking around, what a fabulous place the Barbican highwalks are for cruising. I am so surprised that it isn't a top shagging spot as there are so many nooks and crannies, and at night it is fairly deserted. It would spoil the wonderful location though, and squealing queens (as you would be bound to get) would certainly attract complaints and police attention. But, if anyone nice out there wants to help me explore the area at night get in touch!
First off we have a view, from one of the highwalks, of my room (on the corner above the Shakespeare pub). If I am at home and bored I can often be seen in the window looking out at the passing talent. If you are passing give me a wave.
Next we have a high view of the Lakeside Terrace which, during the hot weather gets packed. It is always nice to sit by the water and watch the Mallards, coots, heron, a variety of water insects and ornamental fish (as well as the occasional topless talent).
Wide-open pavements with greenery all around. Under each of the blocks of apartments there are hidden-away areas where fun should be had.
There are also small fountains dotted around the complex, along with some art installations.
This is a favourite sunbathing spot as it gets a lot of walking traffic going past, and it is about 100m from my home.
And lastly, and certainly least, this is a view of the back of the building in which I work, taken from one of the highwalks. The one I work in is the lower, greenish-glass building, not the beautiful clean stepped one on the right.

5 comments:

raulito said...

Looks like a very nice place...I am not familiar with that part of London
saludos,
raulito

Stan said...

Great pics! Thanks for posting them. I have a camera like the old one you described and it really sucks. EVERY pic you take is blurry! I wish I could afford to buy a new one.
These urban spaces are really nice to look at. I'd love to see London.
It looks so clean!
Hugs,
Stan

Alex said...

Raulito, if you get the chance have a wander around the Barbican it is lovely (and there is also the library and cinema you can visit too). Museum of London is connected too.

Stan, it is in the City of London so is normally kept quite clean unlike most of London (and the rest of the country).

MadeInScotland said...

I heart the barbican as I often mention. Gosh, I would walk past your room every day when I used to walk to work...

http://czechone.blogspot.com/2010/03/walk-this-way-barbican-2.html

ahoj

Unknown said...

I also found that Barbican was a great place to cruise. So modern of a city within the grandeous historical buildings. Amazing how a city within a city is so convenient for people who work/live there. Avoid all the congestion of a big city, but it is right outside your door or window. A shame your photos are not clickable to enlarge them.