Who's On-Line Now?

Wednesday 31 January 2007

I AM GUTTED

To say I am pissed off would be the understatement of the century! I found out this afternoon, by telephone, that I have not been successful in my application for the new position at my workplace. This makes me feel like shit for many reasons.

Firstly, I would have thought after 2 years of service DOING the job, they could have at least told me in person.

Secondly, I was told it was based on the report I had to write as a test for them the other day. This was a 6-line summary which they told us to make brief and concise. I was told that grammer and spelling were taken into consideration [in a 6-line summary, grammar isn't always important], and I have never had any bad feedback from any report I have written previously!

Thirdly, I was already pissed off that they had advertised externally after specifically telling us they wouldn't unless they didn't get the 4 positions filled from internal applicants. I was told today that they advertised externally because they only received 5 applications internally.

Fourthly, I know of one other internal applicant who has gone one step further in the application process despite coming in for the summary section dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, unshaved and without his security pass [on top of which he has been doing the job for half the length of time that I have].

This morning, at least 5 external applicants were interviewed, presumably they completed the summary test along with the interview we were expecting as the next step.

I told the managers before applications were requested, that if I was unsucessful that I would be requesting a transfer from my present position (which would be a control room position dealing solely with building matters, which I detest. But I would be expected to cover for the position I applied for if one of the sucessful applicants were to call in sick or be on holiday!)

I am seriously pissed off and really have no enthusiasm for work anymore, and any confidence that I have built up over the past 2 years (during which time I realised that I had found a job I actually enjoyed most of the time, for the very first time in my life!) The new position would have been, very nearly, a dream job for me and I would have done it even if the money was reduced, instead of increased!

I have 1 more day at work before having a day and a half off, and I really feel like blowing out tomorrow. I have requested an interview with the human resources department to find out what my options are for alternate positions within the company.

I really do not know what I am going to do. What makes things worse is that the last few months have been really shit ones. I have basically lost my former best mate, moved to a flat I hate living in and now the job I really like is being taken away from me. Not good. [I can just imagine what my mate Deano will be saying: "Just get another job!" I wish things were that easy!]

No comments: