Who's On-Line Now?

Friday 5 January 2007

Searching for a new home

I was searching the net for a new place to live yesterday when I came across Gumtree. I had a look through and thought I'd found the perfect place to move to. It was a large studio flat in Covent Garden, £139 per week bills inclusive and would have been so handy as it is about halfway between work and Soho (the 2 places I spend most time!). I send an email enquiring about further details and got quite excited about the flat knowing that it had only been posted that day.
I received an email from the letting agency saying that I had to pay a £14.99 fee upfront before I could view any property, and then, on checking their website I found that this flat was nowhere to be seen! I was really upset as I thought my New Year was starting off brilliantly (my main objective this month being to find a new home!) Letting agencies should NEVER charge the potential tenants to view properties, most renting tennants cannot afford much (the whole reason they are renting rather than buying!) so the property owners should be paying the agency to let out their property. It is such a con. As such I refuse to pay any fee to merely Look at a property and so am still on the look out.
All I want is a spacious area (studio or 1-bed flat) where I can relax and get plenty of sleep and be able to get to work and go out in Soho without travelling too far. I have no furniture, but would take furnished or unfurnished, have no pets, don't smoke, don't play loud music or have parties and am always on time with rent payments. Anyone who knows of a place let me know.

4 comments:

Old Cheeser said...

Sounds like a right rip-off. Keep trying, I'm sure you will come up with something. My partner and I found our current flat on Gumtree and we've been here over a year now, so there's hope! They have new accomodation on Gumtree every day so I bet you'll find a swank pad soon!

Alex said...

Swank pad, surely you meant to leave the "S" off!
;-p

Minge said...

Lordy!

Old Cheeser said...

Erm, well if you prefer it that way, Alex!!