Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 7 January 2007

Who was at the party?

Unfortunately he wasn't!


Despite being invited, David Tennant, Russell T Davies and Freema Agyeman were all filming in Cardiff and so couldn't attend the party last night. Tim, Graham and I arrived at the party, at Ye Olde London Pub in Ludgate Hill, at around 20:00 and stayed mainly on the outskirts of the main group, mainly because the central area of the pub downstairs was packed and difficult to move through.

We were introduced to Clayton Hickman, a writer for Dr Who magazine, whose birthday it was, nice guy and also to Jo a friend of Tim's from their regular Dr Who monthly meetings, who was lovely.

Famous faces (well in the Who-niverse) were Gareth Roberts one of the writers, who co-wrote the Sarah Jane Adventures pilot episode and wrote the second episode of the upcoming Dr Who series (the one with Shakespeare). He is a very happy man who fills a room (literally and personality-wise).

Also there was Nicholas Briggs (I think that is who Tim said it was), who recently provided the voices for the Daleks and Cybermen.

The only other famous face, that I was aware of, was Kevin McGee, a television producer and Who fan, who recently gained more fame by marrying Matt Lucas.

Gossip-wise I didn't learn much, as all the people who work on the series are sworn to secrecy. But here is what I have learned (don't hold your breath, it is nothing ground-breaking):



I had heard a rumour that the Sea Devils were returning in the upcoming series of Dr Who. I couldn't get a confirmation or denial of this, but I was told that someone (whose name escapes me) joked during an interview about the title of the first episode being named "Life and Loves of a Sea Devil".

I was tempted with the news that a major enemy will be returning in the upcoming series, but I could get no confirmation of whether this is a character or race from the "new" Dr Who or the "old".

Gorgeous Joseph Millson, who plays the father of Maria Jackson in the Sarah Jane Adventures, is sadly straight and also a former skateboard champion!

I also learned that the rumours of David Tennant leaving the series may have been started by Ian Levine, a Dr Who fan and former unofficial continuity advisor, who seems to be disliked by many Dr Who fans as hinted in his Wikipedia entry, and other sources.

I also tried to find out what Dr Who fans called themselves. There doesn't seem to be a specific name they use for themselves, but my favourite that I heard was Who-ers!!

I also pitched my idea for the return of the real Jack Harkness. Basically, it was never said that his body was found, just that his plane was shot down. He was heard laughing after shooting down enemy planes, maybe he was laughing because he was being reunited with John Barrowman's Jack somehow! I think it would be great for the two of them to be reunited, maybe at the end of John's run with the series', whenever that may be.

Sorry that I didn't get anything really juicy for you, but I had a great time so I don't care!!

[Thanks to Tim for inviting me to the party and for the editting advice too!!]

4 comments:

Old Cheeser said...

Good report! I once stood next to Clayton Hickman in The Yard in Soho. It was obvious who he was from all the Dr Who speak he was engaging in with his drinking pals.

Some interesting people there then. And at least you heard some potentially useful stuff, even if it wasn't all that scandalous! The Sea Devils eh? If that's true I hope they're better than the rubbish resurrected versions we got in "Warriors of The Deep".

And yes Joseph Millson is pretty handsome.

I like the idea of a reunion with the two Jacks, yes please!! (And a bit more steaminess would be most welcome).

Well sounds like you had fun hobnobbing with all those Who people, lucky old you!

PS The term commonly used for Dr Who fans is WHOVIANS. So there.

Minge said...

How delicious. I'm very jealous, you lucky bitch.

Did you go home with anyone? Any knobbing going on?

What a shame Joseph Millson is straight. How did you find that out?

Was there much cruising going on?

Alex said...

It was all too Who-ish for the die-hards to engage in anything like cruising!! Too much mutual admiration and in-speak about what they are working on really. But a great party nonetheless!

Minge said...

I felt sure you were going to knob someone. Or someone was going to knob you.