Who's On-Line Now?

Saturday 6 January 2007

Update on work

I forgot to tell you, Tuesday I had a 1-2-1 interview with my manager to discuss the changes coming up for my team. It was discussed then that the new rate of pay will be at least (therefore, probably initially) just £2000 more than we are currently getting and it will be a 4-on, 4-off rota with extra shifts as and when (to fulfill our average weekly hours). The second-in-command, who was off on maternity, is returning on Monday and will be working in the office with the manager, rather than returning to work directly with the team, and she isn't applying for the new positions. I presume that she will be applying for the new managers role (as our manager has other duties now), unless hse already has the job (she got the second in command job without it being advertised somehow!). This will be a shame and the only thing that would make me think twice about applying for the position as she is not a good manager and cannot be trusted at all. She seems to have an agenda for everything and doesn't care who gets trampled on as she pursues this!
For example:
She was instrumental in me being moved from a shift I was comfortable on and which contained a lot of the guys who I would go out for drinks with and got on really well with. I had no choice, but she managed to gain a very capable member onto her shift and lose someone who was a waste of space.
The paternity of her baby is in quite some doubt, with the guy named as the "father" not entirely sure either. I have even heard that her labour was induced by her shagging the "real" father! [Mike, not a word to anyone!]
She also has no qualms about going to a senior manager (the big, big, big boss) if she doesn't get her way!!
Bad news for everyone.

Many of my colleagues are not happy with the proposed wage and rota (as it will mean very few complete weekends off) and have stated that they probably won't apply, but I've heard that before. Their objections which they have made management aware of, may work in my favour as if enough protest about the wage it may get increased. This may work in my favour more, even if they do eventually apply as well, as I have made it clear that the money isn't the decising factor for me.
But, as always, we shall have to see.

2 comments:

Minge said...

Are you in a union?

Alex said...

No, I'm not but many of my colleagues are. I'm not really a fan of unions.