Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 10 December 2006

Housewife, 49

Victoria Wood is just a genius. What more can I say to describe the woman?

I have just watched "Housewife, 49" a drama adapted by Victoria Wood from the diaries of Nella Last, a woman form "up-north" struggling with everyday life during World War II.

When I heard that Victoria, first name terms you see, had a new project, I instantly assumed it was another comedy. But this was a fact-based drama and wow, did it press all the emotional buttons or what?

Being adapted by Ms Wood, there were funny parts in it, mainly coming from the everyday events and side-comments made, but there was also fear, anger, resentment, pity and a complete rainbow of other emotions leading all the way to sorrow. I can honestly admit that it had me in tears more than once, [especially in light of my last blog entry]! But I was hooked. Having a wonderful cast including Stephanie Cole, one of my favourite British actresses, also helped, but Victoria always has wonderful people in her projects. Always.

World War II stories are always interesting, those set on the home-front anyway, and I found myself wishing that I had had conversations with my grandparents before they died about these times as I know virtually nothing about what they went through at the time.

If you missed "Housewife, 49", then shame on you. You missed a treat, and should go on out and find the DVD to watch at your earliest convenience (purchasing some tissues at the same time might come in handy too).


Victoria Wood should be a dame. Are you listeneing Your Majesty? That's VICTORIA WOOD,. not Beckham!!

No comments: