Who's On-Line Now?

Tuesday 3 March 2009

A Good Day (No, Really, I'm not Lying!)

Yesterday was my first day covering for my manager. He is off work at the moment as he has been suspended for sexual harassment of our receptionist! I really did not want to cover his shifts as I've not been shown what paperwork needs doing or what gets sent where etc. And most days when he IS here, it appears that he doesn't do anything!
The day didn't start well. The guy who usually covers for the managers holiday (who has been shown what to do) was away at the weekend, hence the reason why I volunteered to do the shift yesterday, so that he didn't have to rush back. He volunteered though to cover the receptionist's shift, as she was off too. Well, yesterday morning he didn't turn up! I phoned him to find out where he was and he said that he had emailed the building manager to tell him that he wasn't doing it! The BM hadn't received any email from him. I think this other supervisor was just having a hissy fit because I was doing "his" job!
On top of this we had one guard off sick and the replacement guard didn't turn up until 3 hours later! The building maintenance guy was also off sick. So, three people down. Talk about being thrown in at the deep end. But, despite this, I didn't get stressed. And, the building manager seemed quite happy with what had gone on today, and believe me, he doesn't do "happy" very often!!

The day went surprisingly easily and the only time I came close to getting stressed was at 17:00, when I was about to leave and one of the guards managed to stop the CCTV monitor from working. I eventually managed to get that working again, but left work nearly half an hour late. It could have been a lot worse. I was actually feeling quite good, which I haven't for quite some time.

When I got home I had a letter which also made me feel good. It was from one of the companies I owe money to, saying that one of the debts is now fully paid off. Yes, it was one I was paying the least to each month, but now I can put that money towards one of the other debts to pay that off even faster (which I have sorted today).

I also discovered that I had inadvertently locked Frank, the cat, in my room this morning when I left for work. He had been let out by the landlord, but not before leaving a little puddle on my bedroom floor! Nice.
But, despite this tiny matter, all in all it was a very good day. Lets just hope that today is the same.

No comments: