Who's On-Line Now?

Saturday 7 March 2009

Another Stress-Filled Day at Work

And it is not even 10:30!

On Thursday, while I was still in the managers chair, I was arranging, with the scheduler at head office, which guards would be covering the three spare shifts that we had for Friday, Saturday an Sunday. I informed him that one of our regular guards could do the Sat & Sun shifts, but he insisted on putting in two separate guards, one of whom wasn't trained in this site.
When I found this out I emailed him back to say that I would prefer OUR guard to cover the shift (because he knows the site, is trained here and also to help him out as one of our regulars who wants to work extra shifts for extra money!). The scheduler never got back to me, so I assumed he had left the manning as it was.

This morning no relief guard turned up! When I enquired with Head Office, they had our guard rostered to cover the shift. I am guessing that the scheduler changed it for our guy to work, but hadn't let him know.
It then transpired that they couldn't get a hold of this guy to find out where he was, or when he could get onto site, if at all, so we had to wait for a different relief guard. All the while one of the night shift guards was waiting to go home after working 12 hours already. He eventually got to leave at 10:00 when the (untrained) relief arrived. I will do my best to make sure he gets paid for the extra hours, but my company are notorious for not paying this extra time worked.

I now have to try and find out who is covering tomorrow's shift so that this mess does not happen again (and I've told the guard who stayed extra this morning that he doesn't have to work tonight if he doesn't want to, but to let me know either way). Unfortunately Head Office are now not answering the phone.

It is times like this that make me want to just walk out of this job, when you know other people aren't doing their jobs and you realise that if you complain, you run the risk of these people making your future working life really difficult and never knowing for sure if it was them of not who have messed things up for you. I mean, my wages, holiday entitlement and uniform supply gets messed up all the time anyway and that is without pissing anyone off, so you can imagine how bad things could get if someone had "reason" to mess things up for me!
It is also times like this that remind me why I don't ever want to be a manager again. Because you cannot trust anyone else to do a job properly without chasing them the whole time and you are not always able to just do the job yourself.

I want out. ASAP.

1 comment:

gab said...

but youre fair thats why you would be a good boss