Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 22 March 2009

I've Made a Decision, or Have I?

I think that I have made a decision, though I am not certain as yet whether I will stick to it. I think that I am going to give up buying comics. Quite shocking to those who know me, but I have given up my collecting a couple of times before, though it never lasted more than a year at a time.
I made my decision unconsciously really on Thursday when I went into town to buy this weeks batch of comics. There was only one new comic which I really wanted, and under normal circumstances I would have selected at least 2 others to tide me over. I decided not to buy any and once I got home I realised that I still had a couple of comics from last week that I hadn't read (and still haven't). It had turned into more of a habit than a hobby, so I am going to attempt to kick the habit.
I have decided to do it in moderation though. I love reading the handbooks that tell readers all about the characters, their history and powers, and the index books which show who first appeared when and where. I guess that all goes with my love of reference books, I have numerous dictionaries and encyclopedias on such a variety of subjects as astronomy, Irish mythology and fossils (among others). Collecting these handbooks will enable me to keep up with what is happening in the Marvel universe and even that may wane in time.
Another decision I have made linked to the first decision is that I will try and sell the majority of my non-Marvel comics on eBay. I doubt that I will get an large amounts of cash for them, though I do have some complete collections of some titles. It will mainly be to create some space and lessen the load of "junk" for when I next move home. At the moment I estimate that I have approximately 1,500 - 2,000 non-Marvel comics. Even if I get just 5p for each comic that works out at £75 - £100 which will help with something. Unfortunately I will have to wait until I already have a new computer before I can do this, as access to eBay is banned here at work! But it is a plan.

Once these ideas are implemented I can begin to spend the money on better more productive things: Like buying a new range of clothes.
I'm not going to go mad, but the majority of my clothing is over 5 years old, with many items over 10 years old! I need new clothes to make me look and thus feel better in myself, thus with improved confidence I should find talking to new people easier and making new friends (and finding a boyfriend) is the ultimate goal.
This last week has been the first step in this process too. I purchased one new item of clothing and that alone, with some carefully selected older items that I already owned, made me feel better when I went out. Yesterday was the payoff and I hope to have more confident and fulfilling days like that.
Clothing I also aim to buy will be smart-wear in preparation for any interviews and subsequent new jobs that are going to be coming along in the near future! It's only a matter of time before something comes my way.

Change is good.

No comments: