Who's On-Line Now?

Friday 20 March 2009

When To Take Offence

I read in this weeks Pink Paper that Ashton Kutcher chastised someone who wrote on his Twitter page, "stop being so gay." Mr Kutcher admirably replied, and I am quoting from the PP, "Can we just get clear, calling someone "gay" or "fag" is as derogatory as calling someone a "nigger." This got me thinking:
I have a work colleague who constantly says things like, "That is so gay," when he means, "That is so bad / wrong / stupid etc."
He does this in front of me too, even though I am out at work, and despite the fact that he allegedly has a gay uncle too. I DO find it offensive, but am not sure that I should. I began thinking, "What word would I use?"
Normally, I would just say, "That is so bad," but other words I could and probably have used are "lame" and "dumb." Are these words offensive to disabled people? Or should that be differently-able people?
Offence can be taken at almost anything we say or do. We all innocently comment on or describing those who are fat / thin / blond / ginger / bald / big-nosed / big-eared / tall / short ....... I could go on forever, but surely we should only take offence if the intent is to offend, otherwise maybe we should advise and educate.
So maybe the next time someone uses "gay" as a synonym for "bad," I'll point it out to the offender.
Or I could always sink to their level and call them a
"breeder," those dirty heteros hate that!

No comments: