Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 21 December 2008

Strictly Finale

I guess, by now, most people will know the result of this year's Strictly Come Dancing already. I had tried to avoid finding out until I got to watch it this evening, but I saw the result everywhere on my way home from my sister's this afternoon. It was still good to watch the show, though not the same when you know how it will turn out.
I thought it was nice to see the eliminated celebrities having one last dance, even if Phil Daniels was still terrible. At the beginning of the series I had really wanted to see Gillian Taylforth go further to see if she would improve from her initial, not-very-good performance. I never liked Gary Rhodes and felt really sorry for Karen when she was paired with him. She had been a favourite since her pairing with Mark Ramprakash two years ago. I also have always really liked Darren Bennett and also felt sorry for him being paired with Jesse Wallace. Don Warrington, however, had made no impression on me at all. Mark Foster's return in the sheer shirt, showing off his muscles proved that you can look amazing and awful at the same time. Andrew Castle's headbanging was something that I never wanted to see again. Cherie Lunghi looked fantastic in her black and white dress performing possibly the best lift of the series (with the aid of James Jordan of course). John Sergeant returned one final FINAL time to show that famous dragging-a-bag-of spuds move that only he can (or will) do!! Jodie Kidd was not well enough to attend the final show, but it was great to see Christine Bleakely with Matthew and the gorgeous Austin Healey (in the favourite sleeveless top which shows his arms off to amazing affect) with Erin of course.

The song and dance routine by Bruce at the end of the first show of the night was terrible, but I should give him a break I guess as he is 80 and hasn't been well for weeks. I wonder how he will cope, wellness-wise, once the adrenaline from performing has worn off at the end of the series. Hopefully he won't pop off just yet.

Lisa & Brendan were the first of the three couples to leave, putting them in a respectable third place in this amazing season.
Tom & Camilla and Rachel & Vincent performed an lovely Viennese Waltz all together followed shortly by their show dances.
Then Lisa & Brendan got to perform their show dance. It wasn't brilliant, and Brendan attempted a strength move, similar to one in last weeks show, and he almost pulled it off, but not quite. A good attempt though for a guy who is not overly muscular.
Rachel & Vincent then performed their show dance, hopefully it was the dream-come-true for Rachel that she had mentioned every single week, despite her little slip at the end. I have a feeling that the judges wanted these two to win.
Tom & Camilla began their dance in true Hollywood style halfway up the stairs, they chose a great crowd-pleaser of a song and Tom got to show off his fun performing side which he should have been allowed to do more during the series. The dance was packed with brilliant steps, facial expressions and even some really difficult lifts. In Arleene's words, "That wasn't brilliant for an amateur, that was brilliant for a professional!" He deserved to win and guess what? HE DID!! I am also thrilled that they won as Camilla should have been in the final last year with Gethin Jones. They were so good together and I felt that they were robbed. I am so glad that another pop star (who dance as part of their job) didn't win again, as good as both Alesha and Rachel were.

I absolutely loved the dance that was performed by four previous champions and their professional partners, Alesha & Matthew, gorgeous Mark Ramprakash & Karen, Darren Gough (who always amazes me) & Lilia, and Jill & Darren. It was like there were 8 professional dancers out there! Loved it.

I shall miss my little Strictly fix every week, I'll have one more on Christmas Day (or whenever I can catch up on BBC iPlayer), but then I will have to wait until next year! How will I cope again?

No comments: