Who's On-Line Now?

Wednesday 5 April 2006

My Patriotic Comic Book Hero

There aren't many British heroes to choose from in the Marvel Universe, and when I was growing up there was only the one that I knew of: Captain Britain.
I didn't know much about him when I began collecting comics, and first became aware of his history when he made an appearance in Captain America's comic book. He starred in Excalibur a few years later and I began to learn more. I prefer his second style of costume (the red, white, and blue) to the first one (red with a yellow lion on the chest), and have liked his subsequent costumes too.
Brian Braddock seems an interesting character, with self-doubts and family concerns (all of which are attractive qualities). The links to alternate timelines is also attractive to me, as I've told of my interest in alternate time lines before. I love all the alternate members of the (Captain Britain) Corps, each with their own powers or personality quirk, like Brother Brit-Man, Lady London, Captain Cymru and would really love to see more. Captain Britain has never had his own comic outside of the UK and I think it is about time, or at least give the Corps their own limited series. (And whatever happened to the Technet mini-series?) I understand that the Corps will be appearing in the current New Excalibur book, and I reserve my judgement on this until I've read it (and probably re-read it). I hope it will be done well (and lead to their own series [maybe if I say it twice Marvel will listen!]).
I guess, once again, that I am drawn to Captain Britain because he is muscular, blonde-haired and blue-eyed. But, in my defence he didn't attract me physically until he "re-appeared" in Excalibur.
I look forward to seeing more and more of Captain Britain (and his counterparts) in New Excalibur or an alternate title for years to come.

2 comments:

j. said...

Nice shot of Cap on the throne their. Do you know who the artist is?

I loved when Alan Davis came back to Excalibur and put Brian on trial in the Multiverse (or whatever that alternate universe convergence place was called). Cap strolled around in just a pair of green sweat pants for, like, five issues. Le *sigh*

j.

Alex said...

Thanks, that is exactly what I'm talking about! Those trousers he wears are just like skin-tight jodhpurs, very nice indeed.
Don't know the artist, but I think the pic is from the "Excalibur: Sword of Power" mini-series, which I have yet to find to purchase.