Who's On-Line Now?

Saturday 26 August 2006

R.I.P. Wendell

Wendell Vaughn (aka Quasar) has been killed in the Annihilation saga currently waging war in Marvel at the moment. Annihilation, or the forgotten war, as I like to call it (as it is being overshadowed by a tiny thing called The Civil War on Earth at the moment). I am loving Annihilation as it is involving some of the greatest cosmic characters ever (i.e. Firelord, Galactus, Super-Skrull, Gladiator and the Imperial Guard), but one bad thing has come out of it.... Quasar has died, killed by Annihilus and stripped of his Quantum Bands.
I have stated before that Quasar is one of my fave characters. He is, sorry was, a hero with incredibly vast power granted by his Quantum Bands, who had only recently begun to grasp the full level of his powers. But he was still, basically, a naive young American boy-next-door type of guy with all the usual hopes, fears, needs and doubts of a normal young guy, feeling inadequate beside less powerful heroes such as Captain America (but then again, most heroes feel that way next to Cap).

I missed the issue of his death, which is the reason for this late obituary, but hope to acquire a copy soon.
I am going to miss Quasar, I loved his series back in the 90's and the variety of characters that he interacted with therein. Hopefully his death will only be temporary (bearing in mind that he was previously stated to be an emissary of Infinity! And he was partnered with Eon and Epoch). But if he remains deceased, then I hope when the next wearer of the Quantum Bands emerges (we all know that there will be one if he is dead) then that person lives up to the ideal and image of the true hero that Wendell was.

Quasar, you will be missed.

No comments: