Who's On-Line Now?

Wednesday 23 August 2006

The Gaily News

Croatia:
Hvar Island:
Tourists were startled by naked men in a main square and striptease in the streets during “gay week”. Around 50 gay men arrived in Hvar to celebrate but they were condemned by local organisers and tourist agencies.
Source: UPI.com

My take:
If it was organised let ‘em ’ave their fun. Startled tourists make for publicity and, as the saying goes, “there’s no such thing as bad publicity!”

New Zealand: Human Rights Law Protects Transsexuals. A new act came after Labor MP Georgina Beyer, herself a transsexual, requested an amendment to include transsexuals. The amendment will also further cover gay and lesbian people.
Source: 365gay.com

My take:
I saw a documentary on Georgina Beyer last year, which I found really interesting. She is quite a lady and very inspirational. She was the first transsexual MP in the world.

UK:
Manchester:
A 39-year-old man had died of his injuries, 3 years after a savage beating by homophobic attackers in Manchester’s Gay Village. Marketing executive Martin Salinas’s family are appealing for his killer(s) to be caught.
Source: pinkpaper.com

My take:
I used to be impressed by Manchester’s Gay Village, and the idea of the Village, as it setting a great example of how the rest of the country should be. It seemed to be a source of pride in Manchester, not just within the gay community. But I’d heard that it was becoming more of a straight locale, with tons of hen parties, which isn’t what the area is for. Looks like it isn’t the haven I thought it was initially. Having never been there, I can only go on what I read and hear though.

No comments: