Who's On-Line Now?

Wednesday 8 March 2006

My Comic Book Heroes

As you may have realized I am a big comic book fan and have been since I was about 7. My brother had comics before I began collecting, but when he decided to get rid of his comics he gave them to one of his mates instead of me. Thanks bro'!!
So I started to buy them for myself with my pocket money. God I remember they were only 20p each then. Wow. The first three comics I bought all at the same time were all American comics and all Marvel:
Avengers Vol1 #214, Micronauts Vol1 #36 & Uncanny X-Men #154

One of my favourite characters was in this issue of the Avengers, and even on the cover.

The Angel

Warren Kenneth Worthington III, a wealthy pretty-boy mutant hero and member of the original line-up of the X-Men, later founder and financier of the Champions of Los Angeles, member of the Defenders, financier of the original X-Factor (and their alter-ego, the X-Terminators), agent of Apocalypse in his Horsemen as Death, and then back with the X-Men.
I think the reasons I like Angel so much are:

Firstly, his power. If I am asked what power would I like to have if I was a hero, then it has got to be flight. That would be the ultimate for me to be able to soar through the air under my own power would be awesome.

Secondly, he was wealthy, so all things seemed possible with him, everything was attainable, (if only he wasn't hated and feared for being a mutant).

And thirdly, he was so god-damned gorgeous; blond haired, blue eyed, buff-bodied, beautiful boy. The nature of his powers made him often appear shirtless, showing off his pecs and abs and biceps. I knew I was gay at around the age of 7 so this didn't pass me by. Yes, I admit it, I have had fantasies about comic book characters (quite a few if I come to think about it!).

I have followed his "career" avidly throughout my 25 years of collecting and he just gets better and better. I hope future writers treat him well and deal with him as good as he's been handled in the past. My only regret for Warren is that he was never a member of the Avengers itself (there were at least 2 opportunities when he could have joined). What If? [hint,hint,hint Marvel]

Angel, I love you still. Long may you fly.

No comments: