Who's On-Line Now?

Saturday 2 September 2006

9/11

I have just watch a 9/11 documentary on Channel 4 and am feeling very emotional at the moment. When I come to describe how it makes me feel I am overcome with emotion and unable to express myself clearly about how I feel, mainly because I don't feel I have the right to feel too upset as I don't know anyone directly affected by the attack. What I do know for certain is that my appreciation of the work that firefighters do just grows stronger and stronger as time goes on. It is certainly a job I could not do.
The world was changed that day. Without a doubt. My life changed not long after too, as I changed career, yet again, and went back into security. Security is where I remain today, with a lot of our procedures directly resulting from that day. My current job within security was created to deal with just such incidents. Luckily I have yet to deal with an attack myself, being off work on 7/7 and 21/7, although we had a busy couple of days dealing with the Boxing Day tsunami in 2004.
I have attempted, again, to write my tribute for the 2996 tribute for my assigned victim, Michael John Cahill and find myself at a loss of how to adequately honour a man I never knew. I'm just glad that I still have a week or so to work on it.

No comments: