Who's On-Line Now?

Friday 30 April 2010

Remember

11 years ago, around about this time I was at home in Welwyn Garden City having just come back from work. I was really in the mood for a night out, but also feeling really lazy. I debated for a while whether to go into town and finally decided not to. Good decision. That was the day that David Copeland decided that gays would be his third "minority group" to attempt to kill and he left a hold-all in the Admiral Duncan pub containing a nail bomb. At around 18:30 the bag was discovered, but not in time to evacuate. It exploded killing 3 people, Nik Moore, John Light and Andrea Dykes (who was 4 months pregnant). The bomb also injured approximately 70 others.
Tonight there is a memorial service in the area which is open to all. I won't be attending, but I will be in the area and I will think of the victims while I have a drink with my friends and hope that it never happens again.
I would not have been in the pub at the time, as I had never been there and, to be honest despite walking past it hundreds of times had never noticed it (as I'd always either be going to of from Comptons), but I could well have been walking past.
I am sure that there is a large number of people on the gay scene in London who are oblivious to this anniversary and who may never have known about the bombing (either being too young, from out of the area or just so far up their own arses that they didn't care at the time), but it needs to be remembered so that it can never be allowed to be repeated.

3 comments:

gab said...

i remember that so sad that poor woman aswell-disgusting

Smudge said...

God..i remeber that well..awful day...just really weird also as i read your blog as often as i can ( and love it )and just seen you originally came from w g city ...where i live now and have done for 17 yrs..really strange xx

Alex said...

I only lived in WGC for a year, originally from Essex, then Devon then Stevenage before WGC, shame we never got to meet while I was there.