Who's On-Line Now?

Friday 8 June 2012

Bingham Cup 2012 (Part 3)

Sunday. The last day of play. And it was wet, windy and a bit on the chilly side. I'd only packed for summer (considering the beautiful weather we'd had last week), so I was dressed in beige trousers, t-shirt and hoody. I managed to put a second t-shirt on later and had purchased a small umbrella (which wasn't much use at all in the wind.
Once again we were mostly all up early as play began at 09:00. The first team won this match, putting them in the running for the Bingham Plate. The Sparta Kings and the seconds played later with them losing again. The seconds won, playing the Charlotte Royals a second time, 10-0, meaning that they were in the final for their top possible prize in their pool, the Hoagland Cup.
The first team played their last match on the main pitch next to the clubhouse, meaning that we, as supporters could sit on the terraces there in partial shelter from the wind and rain. They won, meaning they had won the Bingham Plate. Fantastic.
We stayed in place to watch the seconds play their match, this time against the Melbourne Chargers. They won again, which was fantastic, meaning that they had won the Hoagland Cup, the highest possible achievement they could have managed. They were undefeated and had played only against 1st teams. Brilliant job. I was so proud of them all.

Unfortunately we all had to wait around for ages, in the rain and wind, until the actual final had been played (which the Sydney Convicts won against the San Francisco Fog), before the prizes could be awarded. It was so nice to eventually get back to the hotel and have a warm shower.
We had a quick turnaround, about an hour, from getting back to getting to View Bar for our Kangaroo Court.
Kangaroo Court is a rugby tradition, during which any transgressions, of tour rules, by players (or supporters) are put before the court of everyone else and a verdict decided, normally guilty, followed by punishment of having to down a pint and a shot as quickly as possible. I won't divulge who the "criminals" were, but the "crimes" varied from "Having the gayest haircut " (it was a straight guy), "Not getting muddy enough"; "Wetting the bed" (yes, really). I was never called up. They even had two player in the DJ box, looking down on the proceedings with Statler and Waldorf Muppet masks on. Lots of fun.
They didn't have time for, or forgot, that the tour virgins were meant to do a 1 minute presentation / entertainment thing. I was so happy about that. We all had to go to the Closing Ceremony which was a short walk away.
I have somehow forgotten the name of the venue, but it was a massive building. Unfortunately there was still not enough room in the large hall to seat everyone for their meal. Some of the smaller teams had to be seated in 2 annex rooms (oops). Luckily with 107/8 of us in the Kings Cross Steelers party we were in the centre of the main hall. It was a nice ceremony, with Jonathan Mayor hosting again and speeches, again, from Ben Cohen and Alice Hoagland. Gareth Thomas was there too, where he announced that he was now the honorary president of the Steelers (a little secret we had all been let into a little while ago).
There was then a video shown of clips of play and frolics from the whole weekend of rugby which summed things up quite nicely on a rugby front:

Then came the food. My first bite of the bread that came with the starter took off the veneer of my front right tooth. It kinda spoiled my enjoyment of the rest of the meal, though the food still tasted great. It also kinda spoiled my mood for sex later (I'd been left with a sharp shard of a tooth, that the veneer had been stuck to, which could cause major damage should I not be careful when giving a blow job!).
After the food there were some more speaches, the silverwear was handed out to the captains of the teams again and then there were some really boring speaches, during which the head of the organising committee even insisted on inviting "the guy who sorted out the toilet rolls at the park for us".
After the ceremony we all got out of there as quickly as we could and went back to the hotel to change, yet again, this time into our tie-dye t-shirts. I put some glitter spray in my hair. I say hair, but with my hair being so short, I was basically spraying it on my scalp.
We then all went for a wander through Canal Street en masse and went to the (Paradise) Factory. I had a great time there, even though I didn't manage to pull. I was one of the first of the group to take my top off while dancing, it was sweltering in there, as I thought I looked reasonably okay. "Unfortunately" I didn't look as good topless as a fair few of the others, who are regulars at the late night clubs, this statement is born out by the photos that emerged later (I looked fucking awful in most of the pictures). 
About 15 stayed until it closed at 04:15. We went on then to Cruz 101, but while standing in the queue I thought better of it, knew my chances of pulling were passed and went home to get some sleep instead

Monday morning was a bit sad, having to check out of the hotel by midday and wait around until our train at around 15:30. I arranged to meet up with the guy that I'd snogged on the first night. He turned up at 13:30 and we went to a pub and had a bite to eat. He wasn't as hot as I'd remembered and I found I didn't have the urge to keep in touch. Shame.
The train journey home was uneventful and no one waited around at Euston to say goodbye. I got on the Tube with two others and we gradually split up.

I have to say that that weekend was probably the best weekend of my life so far. There were frustrations and annoyances, but overall I had a fantastic time and can't wait to do it all again (Union Cup in Bristol next year and Bingham Cup in 2014 which will be in Sydney, Australia - I'm saving for that one already). I now feel that I am part of the whole Kings Cross Steelers family and that I am better off for that.
Since coming back, there was a massive Facebook frenzy of everyone sending and accepting Friend Requests (mine have increased by about 50!), sharing and tagging photos and videos, which lasted a couple of days.
I had such a fucking amazing time, I keep remembering things and smiling to myself. I also get a bit teary over the familial feel to the trip and the group, and to the memories, and to the fact that it is over now.

No comments: