Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 21 August 2011

Bad Day

For some reason I woke up at about 04:00 this morning and I couldn't get back to sleep. As soon as I woke I was thinking about money. I am going to struggle to pay my rent and bills at this new flat and I really need to come up with a solution quickly. I feel like I have stepped into a time-warp and gone back 10 years to when I was living in Hendon in a flat that I couldn't afford. This feeling is exacerbated by the fact that I had a small dark bedroom there too filled with boxes, as I do at my new place now.


I need to make a concerted effort to sell the remainder of my action figures. I have just received a quite generous offer for 2 that I previously attempted to sell in eBay, which I am obviously going to accept, so that is a good start (especially as I can avoid the costs of listing it on eBay this way).


I am also going to put an advert on Gumtree to see if I can sell some of my comics there. It's not worth selling them on eBay as they won't allow sellers to charge for postage on comics for some strange reason, and comics are heavy, especially when selling them in bulk.


Other than this, the only other option I have for getting more money is to do overtime at work, which I really do not want to do (especially as it would mean working on shifts with the people I least like there). If only I could get another job.


Because I woke up so early I had the feeling that today was going to be a really long, tedious and annoying one. More so than normal. But I was slightly reassured when I walked out of the front door to make my way to work and found a pound coin on the pavement. Not a huge amount of money, but every penny helps. This optimistic blip didn't last long. I got to the tube station to find it closed and only then realised that it was Sunday and underground trains don't start until after 07:00. I start my shift at 07:00.


I had to quickly locate the correct bus route to get me to work. It involved walking to Stockwell tube station, getting a bus from there to Elephant & Castle, then getting another to Bank station and walking from there to work, which is by Moorgate. The whole journey took less than 50 minutes, which was much better than I was expecting, but I was still 10 minutes late. It is, however, the first time I have EVER been late at this site and the first time I've been late to work at all in about 5 years. So I shouldn't be that hard on myself, especially as all the people I work with have regularly been late into work (some almost every shift).


I was bored and tired all day and have just got home about 30 minutes ago. Thinking about money while I was there I sent an email to my boss asking if there was a possibility of getting me on the Supervisor course that 2 other supervisors are attending this coming week. I had declined initially as I have a hospital appointment on Thursday (the penultimate day of the course), but it is to do with my numb thumb and finger which are almost totally better now anyway. If I do the course I'll probably only get 8 hours per day, but it will mean that I get approximately £225 extra, so I hope that I can get on it. It would certainly help with the bills!


As I was walking home I saw that Humberto was outside Kazbar and so I went over to talk to him. I would have like to have joined him but I need to save money and I am so tired and working tomorrow so it would be a silly thing to do.


3 comments:

Blair said...

You should work at Buckingham Palace. I would think it would pay a decent wage, and who knows, after your recent riots, maybe they'll be beefing up their security? If you did work there, it would make for an awesome blog - though I'd imagine you'd need to remain anonymous! :)

I'm broke too, so take heart in knowing that life is a struggle for lots of us, and you're not alone. My fingers are crossed that things will look up for you honey.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/WorkingfortheRoyalHousehold/HowtoApply.aspx

Dan said...

Hey Alex. Hope everything works out for you. I'm still blogging away. What do you make of Tony Discipline off EastEnder? I did a post on him at http://theirishfishbowl.blogspot.com/2011/08/tony-discipline.html.

Take care from Dan

Alex said...

Hey Dan,

I've not been checking any blogs lately but I did have a look yesterday. Tony Discipline is okay but not really for me, at least not from those pics (I've not watched Eastenders for years, so I've not seen him in "the flesh"). Surprising because our tastes are normally so similar.