Who's On-Line Now?

Sunday 17 October 2010

It Gets Better

I’ve seen various YouTube videos, from well-known people, giving messages of support to teenagers and others who may be having a tough time, either because they are coming to terms with their sexuality or because other people are giving them a hard time (whether they are gay or not). this support is as a response to the recent batch of suicides in the USA.

I've wanted to send out my own message, but recently I’ve been feeling down and so not in the right frame of mind to send the correct message out.

My downers are not currently to do with my sexuality, though my depression may have started out as stemming from my feelings of being alone, rejected and reviled when I was a child, teenager and young adult, I’m a long way past that now.


With regards to bullying and “accepting” your sexuality I would have to admit that it DOES get better. When I finally found my own space and thus was allowed to become my own person, instead of what I thought everyone else thought I should be, I was instantly happier. Surrounding myself with real, supportive and like-minded friends was also a key ingredient.


My advice to help you make your life bearable and eventually enjoyable would be:

1) Learn to be yourself. Find the space that enables you to be true to who you are, be that in a private space at home, with a group of friends or at a club or in a support group.

2) Find something that you enjoy and focus on it. If you are a good artist, then draw and find others who can draw and who can help you focus those skills into a possible career or even just to enhance your enjoyment of this “hobby.”

3) The simplest piece of advice I can give is: If you need help ask for it.

There is always someone you can speak to. If not in your immediate group of friends or family then there are helplines and internet based organisations who you can speak to or who can put you in touch with the right person for you.


You are not weak because you are asking for help. It takes a strong person to admit they cannot do everything alone. It is an arrogant person who thinks that they do not need anyone. It is a stupid person who doesn’t seek help when they are in a state of desperation. I’ve been stupid, but I somehow came out the other side, you don’t always get a second chance.


It DOES get better

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wise words.