Who's On-Line Now?

Friday 27 April 2012

Missing You Craig

I've mentioned him before, but, as today is the anniversary of his death, I want to mention him again.
Craig Armet was probably the most influential friend I have had during my entire life. He sadly died 9 years ago today.
When I was 18 I was in quite a bad way, I had recently survived a suicide attempt, I was beginning to drift away from my friends and knew no other gay people. I put an advert in Record Mirror for some gay penpals and Craig was one of the respondents. He was the only one I actually kept in touch with. After about a year of writing and phoning I plucked up the courage to visit him in Torquay and have never regretted it.
We clicked in person more than we had as penpals and he introduced me a large circle of friends, many of whom I am still in contact with now. Without Craig I don't know where I would be in my life, or if I would have just given up and tried suicide again.
Craig had his faults, who doesn't, but he was an amazing friend to have. He gave me advice, was a great listener, was funny, always had something entertaining for me to do when I visited (which ended up being about 5 weeks of every year) and he became my best friend. If ever I had a problem of any kind he would be the first person I would phone.
A few years after visiting Torquay I moved down there, probably the best decision I ever made. I was finally able to be myself at work and at home and I feel that it wasn't until then that I really became ME. I really found out who I really was and my true personality came out.
Without Craig I would never have met my longest standing friends, Alexis and Francis, who I also miss a lot, but this time because they are still in Torquay and I'm in London.

Craig I miss you, but I am thankful that I met you every day.
Rest in Peace buddy.

No comments: